Associate Professor Christian A. NIJHUIS
(Dean's Chair Professor)
B.Sc, University of Groningen, the Netherlands,1999; M.Sc. University of Groningen, the Netherlands, 2002; Ph. D. with distinction cum laude (top 5%), University of Twente, the Netherlands, 2006; Postdoctoral fellow, Harvard University, USA, 2007-2010; Fellow of the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Singapore.
Tel: (65)-6516-2667 |
Email: email@example.com | Personal webpage
Recognition and Achievements
- University Young Researcher Award, NUS, 2016
- Department Outstanding Chemist Award, Department of Chemistry, NUS, 2016
- Young Scientist Award, 2014
- Head of the Molecular Electronics & Nanofabrication laboratory, 2010 - present
- NRF research fellowship award, 2010
My general research interests include molecular electronics, plasmonic-electronics, supramolecular chemistry & self-assembly, quantum plasmonics, micro/nano-fabrication.
Ref: Du, W.; Wang, T.; Chu, H. S.; Nijhuis, C. A. Highly Efficient On-Chip Direct Electronic-Plasmonic Transducers. Nat. Photon. DOI: 10.1038/s41566-017-0003-5.
Photonic elements have a data transport capacity that far exceeds (more than 1,000 times) that of electronic systems, however, they are usually large in size and this greatly limits their use in many advanced nano-electronics systems. Surface plasmon polaritons, which are light-confined to sub-wavelength dimensions, function like photonic elements but they are usually excited by optical means. We developed plasmonic-electronic transducers that can efficiently convert electrical signals into plasmonic signals eliminating the need for bulky optical elements. These devices are efficient and based on tunnelling junctions, and have the potential to be integrated with existing technologies.
- CM5262 Contemporary Materials Chemistry
- Chen, X.; Roemer, M.; Yuan, L.; Du, W.; Thompson, D.; del Barco, E.; Nijhuis, C. A. Nat. Nanotech. 2017, 12, 797–803.
- Loh, D.; Sen, S.; Bosman, M.; Tan, S. F.; Zhong, J.; Nijhuis, C. A.; Král, P.; Matsudaira, P.; Mirsaidov, U Nat. Chem. 2017, 9, 77–82
- Du, W.; Wang, T.; Chu, H.; Wu, L.; Liu, R.; Sun, S.; Phua, W.K.; Wang, L.; Tomczak, N.; Nijhuis, C. A. Nat. Photon. 2016, 10, 274 – 280.
- Yuan, L.; France, C.; Crivillers, N.; Mas-Torrent, M.; Cao, L.; Sangeeth, C. S. S.; Rovira, C.; Veciana, J.; Nijhuis, C. A. Nat. Commun. 2016, 7, 12066.
- Garrigues, A. R.; Wang, L.; del Barco, E.; Nijhuis, C. A. Nat. Commun. 2016, 7, 11595.
- Song, P.; Suchand Sangeeth, C. S.; Thompson, D.; Du, W.; Loh, K. P.; Nijhuis, C. A. Adv. Mater. 2016, 28, 631–639
- Wang, D.; Fracasso, D.; Nurbawono, A.; Annadata, H. V.; Sangeeth, C. S. S.; Yuan, L.; Nijhuis, C. A. Adv. Mater. 2015, 27, 6689–6695 .
- Jiang, L.; Sangeeth, C. S. S.; Yuan, L.; Thompson, D.; Nijhuis, C. A. Nano Lett. 2015, 15, 6643–6649.